Oh, Good Grief

Ramblings of a newly middle-aged woman

8/11/2009

Passage of time

Posted by fey1133 |


Remember this girl? My evil twin I wrote about? Well, she turned 18 this week. It was bad enough when my oldest turned 21 . Now I have not one, but two full fledged adults for children. Are you kidding me?? I'm still a bit stunned by it. It sounds weird when I say it.

This child of mine, the child who was the peskiest of the pesky, the child who had a motor mouth that never stopped and who had more energy than I could ever dream of having, this child is gonna make one fine adult. You'll see.

Of course, I had to let her have her "I'm 18 now, let's do all the things that I couldn't do before I was legal!" moments. Like this:





She came home all excited about her first real adult undertaking. I, of course, did the minimal ooh's and aah's in between harassing her about what those scroll things are. "They're just designs, Mom!" she says, as she's looking at me like I'm the biggest idiot on the face of the plant.

Then, while I'm dreaming of how my young, adult daughter is going to shape the world by her votes, her words and her actions. While I'm imagining her grabbing life by the horns and taking charge. While I see her traveling to third-world countries to help the underprivileged, feeding the homeless, serving justice, righting the wrongs, I hear it. The words a mother never wants to hear.

"And after I got the tattoo, we all went to Starship............just because we could!"

Sorry, Mom. I tried. I really did.


2 comments:

patrick said...

i look forward to the face I'lll get when I say I dont understand the phrase itself... never mind the weird scrolly things.

Will there be a tattoo at 40 that says something like "the humility of grace is growing old with a silly tattoo you got at 18, and while its literal meaning is somewhat a mystery, you've come to realize it has another value such as signifying the fleeting freedom that is youth."

fey1133 said...

Now there's a tattoo I'd like to see on her. She'll have to get some meat on her, though. It would take up the rest of her back!

Post a Comment

Subscribe