Oh, Good Grief

Ramblings of a newly middle-aged woman

2/07/2009

My Evil Twin

Posted by fey1133 |

Ok, well maybe not evil. This, my friend, is my daughter Ivey. No, she's not two anymore, I just like the picture. I was having dinner with friends last week and we were talking in general about our kids, ect. I made the statement about how much alike we are and how it's very disconcerting having a mini me running around.

Now, we're definitely different in a lot of ways. She's disorganized and weighs no more than a mite (of course, these may just be attributed to being a teenager). She drinks apple juice by the gallon. She went through a weird tornado stage where she watched Twister and the Wizard of Oz more times than I can count, AND she likes pop music..........and country (the agony!).

Other than those things, sometimes I find myself shaking my head at the things that come out of her mouth. It's me. Only younger. And prettier. And skinnier. And..........ok, you get the picture. We both love music. We have this geeky thing about knowing obscure, off the wall, songs. She can hear a song once and know the lyrics. She's just weird like that.

We love musicals. Yep, I stand before you and admit it. Whether it's Rent, Across the Universe, Once More with Feeling (ducking head), we love it. We even have the soundtracks. And know all the words to the songs. It's so embarrassing! I haven't gotten her into older musicals yet, but I'm sure Oklahoma and West Side Story will be in our future at some point.

She shares this open-mindedness about the world that makes me very happy. She's impatient like me (only not as much). Absent-minded like me (maybe more so). And she can be out the door in 10 minutes if need be. The older she gets, the more I see how much we're alike.

This could potentially be a very dangerous thing.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe