Oh, Good Grief

Ramblings of a newly middle-aged woman

12/31/2009

A Different Kind of Christmas

Posted by fey1133 |

Obviously, I've been a little slack in the posting department. Sue me. But before you do, let's talk about Christmas. Christmas is my favorite holiday. Wonderful lights, cozy fires, great smells. And of course, the presents! What's not to love?

Normally, my Christmas is spent with immediate and extended family, but this year was different due to several circumstances. Now, I hate change. I hate change probably more than anything else (besides being late and lima beans). This was an adjustment for me that I've been gearing myself up for for months. I truly expected to be, if not quite miserable, at least a bit sad and disoriented. Well.......... I wasn't.

I wasn't because I was still with my family (or a least some of them).


I had my first major white Christmas.


What?? Are you really surprised we took pictures of beer in the snow?

I celebrated my first Christmas with the love of my life.

And there were presents! As much as I love shopping for family and friends and hunting down the deals, I rarely put too much thought into what I'd like for Christmas. Luckily, I have someone who seems to just know what will bring me pure joy.

It was a different Christmas. A quieter Christmas. I missed all the family I normally share it with. I missed the noise, the traditions, the general craziness. But at the same time, I enjoyed the peacefulness of it. It led to reflections on past holidays with people no longer with me and future ones with people that have come into my life. All in all, as hard as it was, I give it a two thumbs up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe