Oh, Good Grief

Ramblings of a newly middle-aged woman

2/15/2009

Friends, boyfriends & photos (the retro version)

Posted by fey1133 |

So, I signed up for facebook a few months ago, much to my daughters chagrin. I don't recall why I did it to begin with, I think just to keep up with family members. I didn't really do much with it at first, but then faces from my past started popping up. I'm talking high school faces. Wow.

I liked high school. Love is probably too strong a word, but I did like it. Not the actual academics, of course. I was to stupid to realize that it might actually help me later on in life if I put a bit more effort into my work. No, I liked the socializing. Seeing my friends every day. The laughter and inside jokes, the horrible fashion choices. I don't think I ever really belonged to a certain group, drillteam was probably the closest I came to that, but I did have awesome friends. A lot of these people I had been with since elementary school. And although I didn't realize it at the time, they played a major part in shaping who I was and who I was to become. It's something I'll always remember and cherish.

So, in honor of these friendships (and thanks to a Susan for giving me the idea), it's time to do the unforgivable. You got it............pictures! I know I'm going to get hate mail for what's to follow, so I'll apologize in advance. Especially to Debbie..........I really TRIED to get a better photo of you out of my album, but it was stuck!!


This is Cindy. Oh my, did we have some fun together. She always seemed to be tripping, or rolling down a hill, or something. Some of my most memorable (and most shameful) times were at her house.

I don't know why, but whenever I think of Cindy, this photo comes to mind. It just captures her so well.

This would be my very first "real" boyfriend Todd. Yes, he broke my teenage heart, but we won't go there. Geez, could my lips get ANY shinier? This was the only homecoming picture, including the professional one, where my eyes were actually open. I screw up a lot of pictures that way. Because Todd went to a different school than I did, I thought it would be a great idea to have his mom make me this reversible dress. Yes, I said reversible. You know, god forbid anyone at the rival school see me in the same dress I wore to my own homecoming. Needless to say, I ended up wearing it the same way to both schools anyway. And I didn't hear a snicker out of anyone.

This would be Celeste. We were on drillteam together. She, of course, was the smart, responsible one. She saved the day for us big time at a Senior football game one time. It's good to have friends in high places. What was I thinking with that hair?? Seriously!

This would be my partner in crime, Debbie. We started hanging out when we blew tryouts and only made alternate our 2nd year on drillteam. Despite the embarrassment, we actually had a great time that year. I always seemed to be the 3rd wheel to Debbie and her highschool sweetheart Barry. It didn't seem to bother me at the time, although they were probably wishing I had a life of my own on more than a few occasions. Oh, and Debbie's parents hated me. With a passion. Go figure!

And to finish things on a bright note, this is Steve. Steve the lifeguard. I don't know Steve's real last name. I really don't care. I just know that on our Senior trip to Daytona, he was by the pool everyday. Looking cute as ever. Waiting for one of our drunk asses to fall in the pool and drown.

Boy, life was good.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow.

"She always seemed to be tripping, or rolling down a hill, or something"

I wish I knew someone like that.

Anonymous said...

Haha......man, the memories that have been pouring in this past week!

Post a Comment

Subscribe