Oh, Good Grief

Ramblings of a newly middle-aged woman

5/05/2009

Sometimes a sense of humor is required

Posted by fey1133 |

I've come to the conclusion that my daughter hates her sunroof. Hates it. With a passion. Truly! Because how else could she possibly lose not one, but TWO sunroofs in a matter of a couple of months. Who does that?? (Please excuse the girl with the white shorts. I'm sure she didn't realize her butt was sticking out quite so far in that picture).

I'll give her the first one as a random teenage error in judgement (i.e.- she took it completely off and didn't attached it back properly), but the second time............... now that's a whole other issue. Let me give you a little detail. She drives a 1994 Dodge Shadow. Need I say more? Do you know how many scrap yards across the country do NOT have a replacement sunroof panel for a 1994 Dodge Shadow?? Ask me. Go ahead. I could probably give you an exact figure.

It took a couple of weeks, but I finally found one. Yeah!! Or not. The glass fit perfectly. Unfortunately the guy didn't send any latches to attach it to the car with. Yep, we had a mighty fine piece of glass with no way to attach it to the blue bomb. Ok, plan two. While I'm searching desperately around the country for latches for this obsolete part, Ivey will just have to remove the sunroof everytime she drives somewhere. Great!! Except here in GA, which has been plagued by a drought for the past few years, we've been having a monsoon every other day. I haven't seen so much rain in ages! It's a good thing, I know. Just not when you're driving around with a gaping hole in your roof.

Oh, and did I mention the fact that the first time she lost the sunroof it blew off her car? While she was driving? On a major road?? Luckily, no one was hurt. So, this past Sunday Ivey calls me as she's driving to work (on the same stretch of road she lost the first one on). We're just discussing life general when it happened:

Ivey: Oh my god!!
Me: Ivey?
Ivey: Oh my god!!
Me: Ivey???
Ivey: My sunroof!! Oh my god, I was in a hurry and forgot to take it off!!
Me: Ivey!!??
Ivey: It blew off!! (crying hysterically now) It blew off!!
Me: You have got to be kidding me. Did it hit anyone?
Ivey: No, but it shattered!!

I just had to laugh. What else could I do? Of course she got pissed because I was laughing, but seriously! Life sucks sometimes. Being a teenager sucks sometimes. Being a forgetful teenager sucks even more and makes you learn hard lessons. So for now, we're back to driving only when it's sunny and searching for a part that isn't made anymore.

Anyone have a spare sunroof they care to share?

2 comments:

Patrick said...

on the upside, you could get some blue tarp on top and it will somewhat match the paint color.

something else..
you know what could be amusing? take your goofy high school pictures and put them beside her goofy high school pictures. the similarities are funny.

fey1133 said...

Well right now she's sporting some cardboard, plastic and duct tape. Next week a friends husband is fitting it permanently with plexi glass.

You're a funny, funny man, little brother.

Post a Comment

Subscribe