Oh, Good Grief

Ramblings of a newly middle-aged woman

7/12/2008

The Beach is Back

Posted by fey1133 |


So, my daughter and I just got back from the annual trip to visit my Mom and Stepdad at their beach house in beautiful Emerald Isle, NC. My youngest brother, his gal and my beautiful niece Eva were there too. Yea! I'll post pics as soon as said brother sends me what he took since my daughter, Ivey, can't keep a digital camera in her possession to save her life. (Updated..........finally got pics).

It was great to see everyone, and the dynamics of all the personalities are, as usual, fun to watch. Seriously, how did so many people in the same family, end up so different from each other? Obviously, there are certain traits that we all seem to have. Stubbornness? Check. Argumentative? Check. Weird second toe that's longer than our big toe? Check. Other than those three things, we are all pretty much like a mish-mash of crazy characters in some weird off-Broadway play. If you put me and my two brothers side by side, in looks and personality, you would never know we were siblings. It's fascinating!

Anyway, back to the beach. I have come to the conclusion that I am....... not a beach person. Nope, not me. I mean, I love it for a few days, but anything more than that and the sand and wind start worming itself into my brain and I start to feel like I've got conch shells permanantly attached to my ears. I can almost time it down to the minute as to when I've had enough. It seems 3 days is my maximum. I WANT to love the beach, I really do, and I get excited when we're going. It's a beautiful house in a perfect spot. The beach is really close. The weather is usually great. It's just that, after a few days of fun, my hair starts to feel like straw, there's usually some lovely, bumpy sun poisoning at some location on my body, and my face feels like sticky fly paper. Seriously, any errant hair, grain of sand, hell, a FLY, could inadvertantly end up plastered on the side of my face because of all the wind and salt. It's irritating!

So, I'm glad to be home. Until next year. Then I'll start dreaming of ocean breezes, fruity drinks, sun and sand again.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe